Monday, January 4, 2016

Gratitude

I defended my dissertation on March 24, 2014 at Hampton University. When I got to Virginia I needed something that I could touch and feel to help me relax. I went to Target and found a bracelet with a cross. I felt I needed Jesus on my side. I had worked hard for three and half years taking classes and writing my dissertation and I needed to pass my defense. I wore my bracelet as I began my defense at 9am on that quiet Friday morning. My nerves were on overdrive when I started but once I settled into my presentation it was smooth sailing. About an hour later I was Dr. Garcia-McMillian (well, sort of since my degree would not be conferred until May). I felt deep gratitude at that moment to God and to everyone who helped make my dream come true. In the dedication and acknowledgement sections of my dissertation I gave thanks to those who help me throughout the process and some of them I said thank you in person, via phone, or social media. I have tried to be grateful and express my gratitude throughout my life. However, I have certainly have been better at certain times than others.

Today I read an article in The New York Times by Barbara Ehrenreich titled The Selfish Side of Gratitude. The title was intriguing so I dove right into it. The opinion piece highlighted the transition of self-help from “making your visions into reality” to “how gratitude can improve your life, even your health.” The piece points out that this gratitude that is being panhandled is a conversation about yourself with yourself. You can experience gratefulness without having to talk to anyone. Barbara urges that we should do more than say grace for a wonderful meal and rather demonstrate our gratitude by tipping the server and/or supporting the people who picked the food and delivered it to the restaurant by demanding higher wages for them.

I have to admit that I have not thought about my gratitude beyond how I feel, certainly I have not thought about what else I could do. This piece has me thinking about what gratitude will look like for me moving forward. I am still going to pray and give thanks, that is not changing. However, I need to think about what else I can do. How can I be more aware about others, their needs, as well as my power and ability to demonstrate my thanks to them.

One thing I know I would do is to help others financially if I am ever in a place to have enough money. I have been praying that I win the lottery for a longtime. I have my list of people and organizations, as well as my church who I will help financially. However, even though I have been playing and praying I still have not hit it big. That tells me that I definitely need to have a backup plan for expressing my gratitude as often and to as many people as possible. I am still going to play the lotto because I believe in God’s favor and that he knows what is in my heart for the money I will win and how I will help others. But in the meantime, I need to spend time with my gratitude practice and take it to the next level. 






No comments:

Post a Comment