Thursday, January 7, 2016

I Hate Running (Sorry, Not Sorry)

It has to be said, running is the most stupid exercise form ever invented. I hate everything about it, the sweat, the smell, the pain, EVERYTHING. I have mentioned previously that I am a procrastinator and this affects every part of my life, must definitely exercising. I tend to do a little better with a task hence why I decided to train for a 5k over 4 years ago. The run was horrible because the Florida humidity was nothing nice! I walked more than I ran. Once the race was over I was done running and training. Since hindsight is always 20/20, I see not that I should have kept it up.

Three years ago I wanted to get back in the gym and get healthier because I was about to hit the big 4 0. Well, the big 4 0 hit me. I really did not change much, I went to the gym sporadically and did not commit. Now here I am at 41 (42 in February) and I am still trying to get it together. This summer I trained for a 5k. The training went well, I completed it but the day of the race I did not run it all the way. It was a color vibe race and there were a lot of people so I opted to walk more than run. I feel like I did not accomplish my goal after all that training. So… what is my solution to not running the 5k? I have the bright idea to run a 10k. That is how my mind works, ridiculously!

I hated every second of my run today. I felt like I was hardly lifting my legs and my batatas (calfs) were on fiiiyaaa (fire). There were many times that I wanted to stop running and start walking but I did not give up. I was talking to myself most of the time, telling myself not to give, not to stop, to not let myself down. I hung in there and finished. I gave glory to God for the finish but I did not feel as accomplished as other days. The interesting part was that I felt ready to run prior to doing it. am not sure why today was harder than Tuesday and I’m hoping for the best on Saturday. I am up to 28 minutes and Saturday I will do 30. So apparently according to my training app I can run a 5k but I can’t do a 5k in 30 minutes since I am super slow. J Speaking of my app, I love the Zen Labs 10k training app. I also used it for my 5k. I highly recommend it!


What I am recognizing after my two 5k races and now training for a 10k is that the physical training is just one part of it, for which my app is great. However, you also have to train your mind, to keep pushing and not to give up. As far as I know Zen Labs has not created an app for that. J So I guess I have to handle this one. In my previous two races, I gave myself the permission to walk if I felt like it. I really did not push myself as I should have. I am not going to do that this time! I don’t care if I am the last one to cross the line, I will run the entire race. I owe it to myself. If I am training this hard I can’t throw it away the day of the race. Big sigh.. here is to 6 more weeks of training and 7 weeks to race day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment